Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002

Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002
The Nauvoo Temple was originally built by the early saints through much hardship and sacrifice. In May of 1846, the temple was dedicated and became the second operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Unfortunatly a few years later in 1848, the temple was destroyed by fire. In April of 1999 President Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet of the church, announced that the temple would be rebuilt. Following its reconstruction, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple was dedicated on June 27, 2002, making it the 113th operating temple in the church.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

September 30, 2013

Hello Family,

Thank you so much for your letter, Dad! I appreciated hearing the great sacrament talks that you had this last Sunday. Yesterday was our fast Sunday, so for me I only have one more fast Sunday till I'm home! I can't wait!

So, unfortunately, I wasn't able to go to the temple on Saturday :( We originally had it planned to go with one member in the ward, but as the time got closer she was unable to get the time off work and we couldn't find anyone else who was going that day. I was disappointed, but I told myself, "Well, I guess I'm needed here in Cedar Rapids that day." On Friday night we made a quick run to the store and picked up ingredients to make a jello cake for Justin Bascomb's baptism on Saturday. He had mentioned it a number of times to us as we were at his home for Jenna to have a new member lesson. The baptism of him and his two boys, Damion and Devan went so well. Elder Bagshaw was able to come down from Fayette to baptize Justin and then Elder Bowhieus and Elder Higham baptized his two boys. Following the baptism, Sister Egbert and I taught the restoration. Justin gave the official seal of approval on the Jello cake! I'll have to make it for you all one of these days :)

Later on Saturday we helped sort items that had been donated from the community that the church was gathering to send to Zimbabwe. Our entire district was there helping out and several of our great ward members.

This last week we were able to meet Moses and Godlove who are both from the Congo. They speak English pretty well, but at times there is still a small language barrier. Their native language is Swahili. The Spanish Elders met with them a few times and then they turned them over to us as they are in our area. This last week as we went to stop by and visit them, they weren't home. As we were leaving their neighbor stopped us and said to try during the morning. We then started talking with him and he asked us to share a message with him. He lives two doors down from this couple. We shared a short message and were able to set up a church tour for later tonight.

This week we will meet with Tim and his girlfriend Zahra how recently moved from Des Moines. We've not met Zahra yet, but we look forward to getting to know them both.

Later this week we'll be going on an exchange with the Cedar Rapids 1st Ward Sisters. And then on next Monday we'll receive transfer calls from President Jensen. It'll be interesting to hear whether I'm to stay here for my last six weeks or to go to a brand new area. I guess I'll just have to wait til next Monday :)

I love you all so much and I continue to keep you in my prayers!! Something that I learned from Hermana Penrose is that when ever you have a great blessing come your way, image there is an invisible button in the air and you push it with your finger while saying, "Blessed!" We've enjoyed seeing great blessing in our days and this has been so fun to do :)


Take Care!!
Love you lots!!
Sister Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment