Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002

Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002
The Nauvoo Temple was originally built by the early saints through much hardship and sacrifice. In May of 1846, the temple was dedicated and became the second operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Unfortunatly a few years later in 1848, the temple was destroyed by fire. In April of 1999 President Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet of the church, announced that the temple would be rebuilt. Following its reconstruction, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple was dedicated on June 27, 2002, making it the 113th operating temple in the church.

Monday, June 24, 2013

June 24, 2013

Hello Family!!

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad tomorrow!! I remembered earlier in the week and I wrote it down in my planner so that I would remember to mention it in my letter this week. I'm so happy for you both and I love you So much! I'm glad you were able to have a great weekend at Park City and that your shoulder is doing better! Just continue to work through that pain at Physical Therapy and it will pay off in the end.

On Saturday we had two baptisms in our ward. Sister Hodson who is the Relief Society President, her son was baptized and then two investigators, Bill and Vicky were baptized. Everything went so well at the baptisms! At Bill and Vicky's there were at least 12 missionaries and President and Sister Jergensen. The couple has been investigating the church for over a year and have met several sets of missionaries. We were planning on our investigator Jenna being there but she didn't come. Later that evening we went over to a sister in the ward and went through the Stop Smoking Workshop with her. On Sunday after church she was able to receive a Priesthood blessing. We are so excited for her and for her desire to quit smoking. We know she can succeed as she follows the 15 steps in the program, and continues to exercise her faith in the Lord.

Yesterday we were able to attend a broadcast of the New Mission President's seminar from the Marriott Center. It was really well done and lasted 2 hours! It was mentioned that night that the way we are to do missionary work is changing and that knocking doors is not the most productive way. The best way is through the members in the church as they introduce us to their friends and family. I often think back, Mom, to when you were introduced to the gospel through Kathy and how her friendship has meant so much to you. Perhaps I may share this with our members as we help prepare them to share the gospel.

Good luck this week Tyler, Sydney, and McKenzie!! I hope you all have a great time and that you're love for the Savior and His gospel will be strengthened!

This week we are expected to have temperature in the 90's. The last few days we have had thunderstorms off and on. Right now it is just pouring outside and has been for the last half hour. I'm glad I decided to take in my umbrella today :) As we drove here I was also hoping for some really good rain so that we wouldn't have to pay to have our car washed :)

On Wednesday we had the Goodbye Zone Conference with President and Sister Jergensen. After the meeting began they opened it up to questions and they provided some good council for us now on the mission and afterwards. We also had the opportunity to give President and Sister Jergensen a hug towards the end of the meeting. That was really hard to make it through, the tears kept welling up for me. We were all lined up and after I gave them a hug and was going to sit down, President Jergensen said to me that I was an exceptional missionary. That meant a lot to me because I was there at the mission Conference when Elder Clarke talked about being not just a good missionary but an exceptional missionary and that's something that I've been striving to be but I always feel I fall short. I was really touched that he said that about me. After I sat down I watched the other missionaries give their hugs. It was so hard to make it through that, especially when a sister began playing some hymns quietly on the piano. The Jergensens have truly touched every one's heart.

At the end of our Zone Conference President Jergensen had us go to a teaching appointment with a set of Elders Serving in one of the Iowa City wards. One of the families in their ward is originally from Mongolia and she actually served her mission her in Iowa (Her name is Tavna and several of our ward members know her and her husband, small world). Her brother in law who isn't a member knows only Mongolian and until they are able to get the pamphlets in Mongolian, Sister Moldogalii will be helping to teach and translate. Tavna is not as familiar with the gospel terms in Mongolian.

Well, I have to get going, my time is almost up on this computer. I love you all so much and I hope all of you stay well this week.

Love you all lots!!
Sister Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment