Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002

Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002
The Nauvoo Temple was originally built by the early saints through much hardship and sacrifice. In May of 1846, the temple was dedicated and became the second operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Unfortunatly a few years later in 1848, the temple was destroyed by fire. In April of 1999 President Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet of the church, announced that the temple would be rebuilt. Following its reconstruction, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple was dedicated on June 27, 2002, making it the 113th operating temple in the church.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

September 10, 2012


Hello Family!!
 
Your favorite missionary is doing great today!! I got some good sleep last night and I'm ready and excited to move today!! Yes, we are moving into an apartment today. It's pretty close to where we are living currently, just a mile away. Our Bishop informed us last Tuesday that the housing situation with a ward member family isn't ready at the present time, but it may be available in the future, so he gave us the final go ahead with this apartment. What a relief to finally know where we will be staying! We spent a little time on Saturday Morning looking at Goodwill and some other thrift stores for a dresser, couch and table. We pulled up to one of the thrift stores and I saw this really nice dresser in someones pickup. We went over and asked if they were dropping it off or purchasing it and they said they were dropping it off. We asked if we could purchase it from them and they said they would take $30. We thought we could get it a little cheaper, so we let them drop it off. As it turns out, we ended up paying 35 from the thrift store :( That still was a great deal, it's in good shape and will be perfect! We also found a couch, mirror, a shower curtain and a table. We just need some chairs and lamps. Luckily, all the dishes in our current kitchen are ours, as well as the beds, desks and desk chairs. We were told that if we saved our receipts, the mission office would reimburse our card.
 
There's a lot of work to do here and we are excited to do our part. The investigator, Moses, that bore his testimony at church last week, he also came to church yesterday. His wife wasn't feeling well, so she stayed home with their baby. We were able to have a brief lesson with them yesterday which was exciting! We've also received a number of referrals, a few from the Elders in our district and one from a member, Sister Flynn. I tell you that family is amazing!! The referral of hers is a friend that she has at work and a few weeks ago she asked if we had an extra Book of Mormon to give to this woman. I just so happened to made sure to have an extra one in my bag that morning. On Friday we stopped in to the store to purchase a few items for a sister in the ward and we met up with Sister Flynn's friend. She had received the Book of Mormon from Sister Flynn a few weeks ago and was already in Alma!! She said she couldn't put it down. The spirit then prompted me to ask her if she would like us to stop by and teach her more about how we have that book. She politely declined, and said she wanted to finish the book first. Later on we find out from Sister Flynn that she was embarrassed by her home to have us over and so Sister Flynn offers her to come and have the lessons in her home. She agreed to that and so we'll met with her this week sometime!
 
We also received a referral from the Elders of a women who is looking for a church to join. Apparently a few months ago Sister Whitaker and I or the Called to Serve Sisters had stopped by looking for a woman that was a former investigator a few years ago. This woman went on to say that we didn't ask her if she would be interested and she wished that we had!! When I heard this, I felt so guilty! I don't know if I was one of the missionaries that she was talking about. From this experience I learned to ask everyone and invite everyone to learn more and as I do that, I fulfill my responsibility as a missionary. The spirit also impressed upon me how the Lord is really preparing the hearts of people to receive the gospel and we just need to find them! Great things are happening here in Iowa City.
 
Take Care
Love you all Lots!!
Sister Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment