Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002

Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002
The Nauvoo Temple was originally built by the early saints through much hardship and sacrifice. In May of 1846, the temple was dedicated and became the second operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Unfortunatly a few years later in 1848, the temple was destroyed by fire. In April of 1999 President Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet of the church, announced that the temple would be rebuilt. Following its reconstruction, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple was dedicated on June 27, 2002, making it the 113th operating temple in the church.

Monday, July 2, 2012

July 2, 2012


Hello Family!!!

It is SOO good to hear how things are going with everyone!! I miss you all, but I know that this is where I need to be at this time. Please know that you are all in my prayers as well.

My testimony of the gospel has grown so much since being here on my mission for nearly the last two months. My testimony of our Father in Heaven's plan for us and the role of the Savior in my life is growing ever more deeper. As I help others turn to the Savior and to seek help with their trials, I find my faith in the Savior increase and that there is real power and strength in the atonement. I've come to also realize that our Father in Heaven truly wants us to find happiness and joy in this life and that will come as we have faith in the Savior and exercise the power of the atonement everyday by repenting and bettering ourselves. As we turn to the Savior and repent and ask for forgiveness, we can be healed spiritually and we can overcome feelings of guilt, remorse and hurt.

This week we taught 22 lessons! Some of those were short messages to families in the ward, but it gives me hope that we can be teaching 20 a week to less actives, and investigators. This last week we had a hard time meeting with our investigators. Our appointments kept falling through for one reason or another. We'll be working hard this week to meet with them though!!

On Wednesday, the 4th of July, we'll be having dinner at an investigators with his children and the Elders. We may also spend some time during the day talking with people at a parade :) It'll be a good day!

This last week we had the Called to Serve sisters from Davenport with us on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They were staying with some host families in the ward so we had them from 10:00am to 9:00pm. We had a few lessons that they were able to sit in on and help with, but a large part of our time on Saturday was spent finding (tracking) people. There were four sisters, so I had two sisters with me and Sister Whitaker had 2 with her. Each sister had two Book of Mormons to hand out and by the end of the day on Saturday they were all gone!

Late afternoon on Friday was interesting. We had been out following up with some potential investigators and then around 4:30 when we all met up at the van, Sister Whitaker asked if we had heard the sirens. I was with two sisters previously in a less active woman's apartment and we all replied that we hadn't heard anything. Sister Whitaker said that she was confirming dinner plans for the next day with Sister Jeppson (who's husband is the First Counselor in the Mission Presidency) and that Sister Jeppson told her that if those sirens went off again we should all go to the church building and huddle together in the changing room next to the baptismal font. She also said that they were predicting a bad thunderstorm to come through. Things didn't look bad to us at the time. The sky was overcast with only a few dark clouds. We drove to an area close to the University and went out to contact some more potentials. Within a few minutes we heard the siren go off. We all piled into the van and I drove us to the church building which was about 7 minutes away. We informed the bishop who was one of the host families that we were at the church building and then we also found out that the area was going to receive some strong winds upwards of 80 mph. Again, it didn't look that bad outside, but I told myself that things can change quickly and that we need to be smart and listen to the warnings because we are responsible for these four sisters. 15 minutes after we arrived at the church, the wind started to pick up. At 5:30 or so we received a call from a ward member and she said that things had changed and they weren't expecting the big thunderstorm till around 9 that evening. We ended up going to our dinner appointments and by the time we ended it was raining outside with some distant thunder. We went out tracking, something I wasn't too fond of at the moment with the thunder and lightning. The rain let up after a little bit. At 8:45 the sisters I was with drove over to meet Sister Whitaker and her sisters and then by the time we reached them, it was just pouring!! That drive to the apartment was so scary for me. The rain was coming down so hard and the lightning was a lot closer. I kept a prayer in my heart that we would get to the apartment safely. I was impressed to continue forward and that we would be protected and that everything would be alright. There were a couple of times when I saw that lightning in front of us and inside I freaked out, but I controlled myself so that the other sisters wouldn't be alarmed.
  
On Sunday all the sisters sat in on our lesson with Paul who speaks French and Swahili. That was a neat experience for them all. A number of the sisters said that if they aren't married by the time they are 21, they are going on a mission.
  
LOVE YOU ALL!!!!
Sister Tucker

No comments:

Post a Comment