Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002

Nauvoo Illinois Temple - Dedicated June 27, 2002
The Nauvoo Temple was originally built by the early saints through much hardship and sacrifice. In May of 1846, the temple was dedicated and became the second operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Unfortunatly a few years later in 1848, the temple was destroyed by fire. In April of 1999 President Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet of the church, announced that the temple would be rebuilt. Following its reconstruction, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple was dedicated on June 27, 2002, making it the 113th operating temple in the church.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 11, 2012


Hello Family!!

Things are going well here in Iowa City.   We do have a car in this area that my companion and I use. Right now we don't have to share it with another companionship. When that happens we just walk to where we need to go and will have to ask for rides from members.

Oh, we had dinner this last Friday at the Peters and they served Buffalo tacos. Yes, I ate buffalo and it was really good. Apparently you can purchase it at the store here. I also had a kumquat. Brother Peters is one of the counselors in the Stake Presidency and he is a professor at the university. He informed us earlier in the week that he would like us to share the Plan of Salvation with three of his students. They are interested in philosophy and communications. They are all in their 20's. Sidney just completed her PHD and had an interview in Orem at UVU the previous day. She is from Taiwan. The other two are married and they are from China. They enjoyed what we shared and were alright with learning more. We have a return visit for this Friday with two of them. One will be going back to China for a few months. Sidney was willing to say the closing prayer and she did a wonderful job as she followed the outline on one of our pamphlets.

One of our investigators is Paul and he is from the Congo. He knows French and Swahili. There is a sister in the ward and she knows French. She lived there for a year. She joined the church 6 or so years ago and is a ward missionary. She is present at all our lessons with Paul and will share a few thoughts and comments with him as well. I've enjoyed saying Ca Va? to Paul and the first time I did that he replied differently than what I was taught and so I didn't know what to say! I've enjoyed listening to him and Sister Jensen speak and I'm able to pick up on a few words here and there. Our Bishop speaks French as well. I've heard that he strictly translates what we say and won't add anything more. Paul took his first English lesson last week and will continue. Sister Jensen will only be here for the summer. Around September though, a missionary from France will be returning so he may help Paul out. Sister Jensen also translates for Paul during church. She and her husband have a two year old girl that is so sweet and will sometimes be there as we have lessons, and she plays well for the most part.

On Tuesday and Wednesday Sister Whitaker had zone teaching and so I was paired up with another sister for those days. We were given a list of people to go and contact and we had some success in doing so. One of the homes we went to, a girl around 10 answered and then her mom was in the background saying for us to come in. We met the woman, her 10 year old daughter, another daughter in her 20's, a little one year old and then her two boys whom she had come out and join us for a prayer before we left. We found out they are from California and went to our church for a year. They aren't members. They've lived here in Iowa for 10 years or so and have not had the missionaries over. We will go back this week and talk with them. She was very sweet and offered us some bottled water after we arrived.

Our mission has a goal of 400 baptisms before the end of the year and we have around 140 so far.

My companion and I are getting along well. She's great!!!

That's all the time I have to write for now.  Love you all!! Take Care!!

P.S. Please read the Introduction to the Book of Mormon. It is amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment